/> Dream Golf Job: Gary Player to open the Golf Hall of Fame

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Gary Player to open the Golf Hall of Fame

via Jeff Clause (Santa Says Newsletter, Read his ONLINE version here)

Mr Player is, without a doubt, one of the greatest sportsmen of all time. Not only has he globe-trotted the world for more than 60 years winning tournaments on every continent, he is also the fittest 79-year old going (and he’ll show you!). Gary has also been a great friend to me over my 24 years in SA.

We have played together, taught together and shared many a story. He came to Sparrebosch shortly after we opened to support me in my new position there. He has also written letters on my behalf in those early years when I had to renew my work permit. He wrote a passionate letter when I applied for permanent residency. He met my parents here and again in Texas, walking and talking to them as he played. When my brother introduced himself to Gary at a tournament in Iowa some years later, Gary said, “Ah, it’s great to see you again, what a fine son you have.” (I liked that story).

Mr Player was the first golfer to be inducted at the opening of the Golf Hall of Fame at Oubaai. I was there but, due to commitments, he wasn’t. On Tuesday, he will open the new Golf Hall of Fame in the Waterfront and finally receive his award in person. I will be there to thank him and wish him well.

He has been the best ambassador for South Africa!

I am sure when there is a small gap in his schedule, he will accept my standing invitation and come here for a game. When he does, I’ll be sure to whisper in your ear!


From the web…
The Mercedes Benz Southern Africa Golf Heritage Hall of Fame & Museum will open at the Cape Town V&A Waterfront in June.

Multiple Major winner and arguably South Africa’s greatest sportsman, Gary Player, is set to officially open the Mercedes-Benz Southern Africa Golf Heritage Hall of Fame & Museum at the Clocktower, Cape Town V&A Waterfront, on 2 June this year, where many of his memorabilia, trophies and jackets will be on display for the first time ever outside of the World Golf Hall of Fame.

This Hall of Fame & Museum will be home to numerous historical South African golf artefacts and will also honour those players and people in the industry who have had a great impact on the sport from a local point of view.

The opening of the Southern Africa Heritage Hall of Fame & Museum will be followed by the sixth Southern Africa Golf Hall of Fame induction ceremony, where the 2014 class honoured in an event attended by leading politicians, business people, and many local golfing legends. On Wednesday 3 June Metropolitan Golf Club in Cape Town will play host to the annual Invitational Pro-Am golf event, where invited guests are able to enjoy the company of many of the golfing legends and Hall of Fame inductees.



The 2014 Class of Inductees includes:

• Lewis Chitendwa
• Fulton Allem
• John Fourie
• Mrs AE Vernon (nee Ormsby)
• Ronnie Glennie
• H Walter

To find out more of the inductees visit www.golfhalloffame.co.za



No comments:

Post a Comment